Friday, September 7, 2012

Featured Artist - Corina Alulquoy Brown / Wild and free Jewelry





Hi Mira, 

My name is Corina Alulquoy Brown, I'm 20 years old and am from Santa Barbara, California. I'm currently studying to receive a degree in Anthropology, but my main passions are photography and design, both of which I plan to pursue fully after I graduate. Recently, Wild & Free has become my main focus in life and I hope to watch it continue to grow and evolve in the future. Nothing would make me happier than to keep creating custom designs for many years to come. 

I've always been inspired by Henry David Thoreau's words, "all good things are wild and free." Since I started designing jewelry, Thoreau's words have been at the heart of the concept of my Etsy shop and designs. I strive to create one of a kind pieces that reflect a connection to nature and a free spirit, disconnected from the industrialization and judgment of society.

Wild & Free started in January 2011 with a small selection of one of a kind feather necklaces on a suede cord. My first item on Etsy sold within a few days (www.etsy.com/transaction/42183069) and from that point on Wild & Free has continued to evolve to offer earrings, feather headdresses, flower crowns and vintage reconstructed boots.

I create, design, photograph, and occasionally model, all of the designs myself, and I would love to stay this connected to the business for as long as possible. 

I think handmade art has a very personal and sentimental aspect to it. I love the idea that when a customer receives an item, they know it was made with love and care by my hands, rather than originating from a distant country or an unknown source. I feel that this handmade aspect is a crucial component to what Wild & Free is all about and, like many other Etsy shops, it's what makes it special in comparison to the majority of the fashion world. 

I think my main inspiration rests on my family. My parents were married by a Chumash chief and when I was growing up I was heavily influenced by the Chumash culture. My middle name is Chumash for "dolphin" and although I am not Native American by blood, I feel as though their ideology is ingrained into my identity on a cultural level. I remember participating in Chumash pow-wows when I was a child and being mesmerized by their headdresses and colorful artwork. Above all else, I draw my inspiration from these memories, coupled with the desire to provide one of a kind items that embody a desire to live wild and be free. 

Of couse, I have a few major inspirations in the fashion realm as well, which include Spell (www.spelldesigns.com/), Sugarhigh + Lovestoned (sugarhighlovestoned.bigcartel.com/) and of course, Free People (www.freepeople.com). 

I'm obsessed with photography, so taking photos is one of my favorite things when it comes to listing an item on Etsy. I love overlaying photos with images of deserts, galaxies or colorful paintings, and I usually heavily saturate anything colorful in the photograph. I plan to complete my degree in Photography after I finish Anthropology in the Spring. 

The link to my etsy shop, FB shop, website, or other page I have

Shop: www.wildandfreejewelry.etsy.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/wildandfreejewelry
Blog: www.wildandfreejewelry.com
Instagram: @wildandfreejewelry
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/wildandfreelove


Piece of Art



I also just opened another Etsy shop if you would be interested in adding that at the end of your feature. The inventory is a little minimal right now but it will be fully stocked in the next couple of weeks. It's called Coyote Canyon and will be focusing on taking vintage clothing and making it new and exciting for modern day fashion. ---> 

Shop: www.coyotecanyonrevival.etsy.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/coyotecanyonrevival
Instagram: @coyotecanyon






xox Corina

No comments:

Post a Comment